Vegan Ice Cream Cake Recipe
This is the most amazing cake you will ever have, seriously, ever. I've made this for my boyfriend for the last two years on his birthday, and holy moly, it's making me wish I had more birthdays to celebrate throughout the year, because this cake is unreal. Just like Dairy Queen, only vegan! It's also really super simple to make, and quick. Each step takes no more than 10 minutes, you just need to allow a lot of time between layers for them to properly freeze. You're best to start making this cake 4+ days before you actually need it to be ready.
2 pints Vanilla Non Dairy Ice Cream*
2 pints Flavoured Non Dairy Ice Cream*
1 box Oreo Cookies
Food Colouring (optional)
Piping Bag & Tip (optional)
* I used the So Delicious Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream and the So Delicious Coconut Cookie Dough Ice Cream with huge success. Would really recommend this brand!
3/4 cup Coconut Milk (from can)
3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
2 tbsp Vegan Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Corn Starch
1/2 cup Vegan Chocolate Chips (I used mini chips by Enjoy Life)
1.5 cups Vegan Butter (I used Earth Balance)
3 cups Icing Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Line a 9-inch spring foam pam with parchment paper and lightly coat the sides with vegan butter or oil to prevent sticking.
- Take out the 2 pints of Vanilla Non Dairy Ice Cream from the freezer and let them sit for about 20 minutes until soft. Then pour out of the containers and spread evenly into the pan to create the first layer of the cake. Pop the cake back in the freezer for about 20 minutes to let the ice cream firm up.
- In the mean time, take 2 sleeves of Oreos (about 15) and lightly process in a blender or food processor, to make large crumbs. After 20 minutes, remove the cake from the freezer and evenly sprinkle the Oreo crumbs over top of the ice cream, creating the second layer. Not put back in the freezer and let this freeze completely. I let the cake sit overnight.
- Next we’re going to make the chocolate fudge sauce, which we’ll then pour over top of the Oreo layer and let freeze again. To make this, start by warming the 3/4 cup Coconut Milk over the stove on medium heat. Add in the cocoa powder and maple syrup and half the chocolate chips. Cook for about 5 minutes. Then remove from heat, stir in the butter, vanilla extract, corn starch and remaining chocolate chips. Let cool for 20 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken more. Then pour this all over the Oreo layer of the cake and put back in the freezer for a few hours or over night.
- For the top layer, remove the flavoured Non Dairy Ice Cream (I used Cookie Dough by So Delicious) from the freezer, and let sit for about 20 minutes, until soft. Then pour evenly over the fudge layer, using a spatula to smooth the top. Freeze for a few hours or over night.
- To make the icing: Remove vegan butter from the fridge and allow to sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes to soften a bit. Then use an electric mixer to whip the butter, and slowly add in the icing sugar and vanilla extract, until soft and fluffy. Remove the cake from the spring-foam pan and then ice and decorate as you see fit! After applying a light layer of vanilla icing all over the cake, I tried out piping icing for the first time to add a bit of fun to the cake (and I used blue food colouring for this part). I also topped it with rainbow sprinkles and more Oreo pieces. If you’re going to add decorative icing on top, be sure to let the initial layer freeze fully first.
- Keep frozen and enjoy :)